Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Oct. 23, 2010 Transmission and Sound Dampening

I started the day Saturday with the sound dampening project. Now, I hear you saying...Chris, it's a convertible, What are you thinking??? Well, the fact is that the low frequency noise that you get from the transmission and the overall road noise and be reduced with the deadening material. I started with the back seat ( no rhyme or reason) and worked my way to the front.

The area under and in front of the passengers was important to me. The material from Cascade was great. It was cheaper then Dynamat and did not have that terrible smell.



When it came to the seat brace, I used a different material from AcustiBlok. This mat did not have a sticky back so I used contact cement to hold it in place till the carpet was installed.

I did add a sheet to cover the rear back seat area to help with the noise from the rear and trunk.

I am using the old carpet for now. It will be replaced too.

Now it was time to move below. We painted the bottom with the bed-liner that I mentioned before. It gives a nice look and is pretty sturdy.
View from the back looking forward. That is , Flat-out-tough looking. A bit loud for a preschool teacher so we will have to get the rest of the exhaust too. :(


It is pretty tight in the engine compartment now. More picture of the Power Steering pump issue later.