Monday, December 6, 2010

December 3, 2010 Paint Prep and Body Repairs

Well body work is a time consuming process. At least to do it the way folks say it should be done. This is the fender that Mark and I replaced the bottom of. The joint did not look bad at all but once you start putting mud on it , all the imperfections show. I ended up putting many light coats on the repairs. I did not have the luxury of replacing all the metal that was bad. I cut out what I could then repaired what was able to be done. If it was a severe patch, we did do the metal work.

This is the drivers' side fender. The patch was very small but it still took forever!

Leo was crazy enough to show up the other night. It was because of him that I was able to get as much done as we did. He is very particular. I love that. Better yet...he knows what he is doing. That always helps. The hood was in nice shape. It did not require anything but the sanding. 180 then 320. Ready to prime.

The trunk lid was another story. There were depressions in the lid and a buckle that went from side to side. Jeremy and I worked out the buckle but I still needed to get the depressions removed. It was amazing the amount of dust the sanding produced. This is after the first sanding and after the lid was shot with a self etching primer with a high build. This really was nice because it filled in all the tiny imperfections and even the sanding marks from the 320 grit. The sanding marks are sooo small that they were hard to see, I am not going to expect a concourse grade paint job but I want it to look nice.

Almost ready for the entire car to be primed.